Rosyln Place is a narrow cul-de-sac in Pittsburgh’s Shadyside neighborhood.
Thomas Dodd was an immigrant from England when he was a child and at age 23 joined the Pittsburgh Railroad and soon became the chief engineer. He and his wife Mary moved into a home in Shadyside and bought the neighboring land parcel. Here in 1913, he developed Rosyln Place – a cul-de-sac 18 homes and townhouses.
Wood was once a commonly used construction material in plank roads in the 1800s but soon gave way to more modern materials. Roslyn Place stands out as a short narrow street that went against the grain. The original blocks lasted almost 70 years without having to be replaced.